Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Flight of Clark's Hot Air Balloon


"Let my prayer rise to you like incense, and my hands lifted up as in an evening sacrifice."
Psalm 141:2



The first take home work I had for my photography class was to produce a photo that is Raw - meaning it is unedited. A pure product me and my new buddy - My Camera.

It was 2010 - the 15th Philippine International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta was coming up. I decided that it will be my subject for the take home work.

It was all in all successful. I had nice shots. Sadly, that time, I only took photos behind the fence, away from where the real thing happens.

This 2011, I had the priviledge to go beyond the fence. Thanks to my good friend William Uy of JAC Motors.

I went on the first day of the event for the 2010 and 2011 Fiesta.


Woke up around 3 in the morning to go to the Hangar. Above: Flag raising (or rather Flag falling) for the opening ceremony last 2010. Below: There was no Flag falling from the sky time (2011). The event started late by the way.


Since it was my second time, I was already aware of the traditions of balloon festivals. The Hare and the Hound. First to take flight among the balloons is the Hare. As soon as it is on its flight, the rest or the Hounds will start getting ready to take off. From left to right: The photo that I submitted for our take home work. It is the Hare that landed back on the Hangar at Dusk last 15th Hot Air Balloon Fiesta (left photo). As I've said the event started late on the 16th Hot Air Balloon Fiesta, so the Hare was lit up late as well (center photo). The Hare is all set to lead the rest of the Hounds iinto flight (right photo).



The hare is ready to go up in the perfect sky.



Hounds getting ready to take flight.



The balloons of the 15th Hot Air Balloon Fiesta.



The balloons of the 16th Hot Air Balloon Fiesta.




This balloon has caught my attention. I was able to take pictures of it from behind the fence the previous Fiesta.



This year, I think this was my favorite model. I took more photos of this modelesque balloon more than the others.



These balloons are just wating for the 15minute mark of the Hare. The Hounds may only take flight 15 minutes after the Hare has took off.



There goes the balloons but my model is still getting ready.




Finally, my model is up, up, and on its way. How I wish I was on that same balloon on this beautiful morning sky. 



Last Fiesta, on my way back to my hotel to grab a quick nap, I chanced upon a balloon landing just a few meters outside the Hangar. This was a great oppurtunity to appreciate the chase crew of each balloons.



The amazing Paragliding afternoon exhibition for the 15th Hot Air Balloon Fiesta.




The 16th Fiesta, while the audience wait for the hounds to take off, the Paragliders showed off their skills and talent. 



In the afternoon of the 15th Fiesta, I went back hoping to get great shots at dawn. I was lucky enough. The balloon on the side has just landed back. while the audience are waiting for the other balloons to land back, Paragliders kept the audience attention on the sky.

I did not stay until the afternoon last 16th Hot Air Balloon Fiesta. It was so hot and humid. Also, the program was just the same. Nothing new to look forward to. However, this year was different for me. I was able to go beyond the fence and be up close and personal with the models...err...the balloons.

Again, I'd like to give thanks to my classmate in photography, William Uy, and likewise to my grade school classmate Homer Llaguno for Nikon telephoto lens I borrowed last 2010 for the fiesta.

Target for the 15th Philippine International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta:
Take RAW photos to be submited for the photography class. - DONE!

Target for the 16th Philippine International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta:
Go beyond the fence. Be up close and personal with the balloons. - DONE!

Target for the 17th Philippine International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta:
Ride the balloon!







8 comments:

  1. Magayunon Pads! Kung igwa man akong reklamo, wara lang su Darth Vader Balloon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. magagayon padi mga balloons.... pwerte! :-)
      nadipisilan maglayog c darthvader. :-)

      Delete
  2. costs about 15 grand a person to ride up that balloon.
    tick "x" off at your bucket list before you go sailing at middle life and reach the crisis. or did you already? :)

    You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky.-Amelia Earhart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in my dreams.... :-)
      satisfied with my head gazing up to heaven. :-)

      Delete
  3. Uragon po mga shots mo father Japs...I'm so Proud of You..heheheh..Good luck with your trip...

    Hope to see you soon..

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are like post cards!
    And that's an excellent shot of the paragliding (3rd to the last photo) - muted/subtle (background) colors!
    Very nice!

    ReplyDelete