Saturday, June 23, 2012

Conquering Mt.Pulag


"All you winds, bless the Lord.
Dew and rain, bless the Lord.
Frost and chill, bless the Lord.
Mountains and hills, bless the Lord.
Praise and exalt Him above all forever."


Daniel 3:65,68,69,75





Mt.Pulag is the second highest mountain in the Philippines.

So what?

I am not a mountain climber, and I don't want to be one. However, when I saw pictures of Mt.Pulag, I made a note to myself to become a onetime mountain climber - a Mission Impossible!

Mt.Pulag stands at 2922 meters above sea level. It has the highest peak in Luzon. I am afraid of heights. I've never reached the peak of Albay's famous perfect-cone Mt. Mayon which is only 2462 meters above sea level.

Across the Philippines it is the 2nd highest which makes it the top destination of experienced mountaineers. I am never a mountaineer. In fact, I've never even camped out when I was a Boy Scout.

Mt.Pulag can be reached through Benguet. I hate zig zag!

The temperature can drop down below zero. I have weak lungs.

Disregarding the impossibilities, I set out to conquer Mt.Pulag. With God, nothing is impossible, I said to myself. I will do my best and my best will be good enough. Do I sound like the boxer-preacher Manny Pacquiao? YOU KNOW... I am Tom Cruise anyway.



Guides gathered on one of the hills as they wait for their groups for decent on day 2.

The Breaking Dawn imagination. Edward Cullen? Jacob Black?  Errr... one of the three German nationalities on my group checking out the campsite on day 1.

More people setting up camps.

Bahay Kubo? Nope. It's the makeshift comfort room.

Bushes that seems like broccoli.

Even the sun sets in paradise.

But when the sun rises, it would bring the sea of clouds.

Sunrise at the camp site.

Alas! Melchor, Gaspar and Baltazar found their way to me - "I am Jesus."

At one of the peaks.

Here comes the sea of clouds.

Out of the four peak at the summit of Mt. Pulag, I got to go up to two.

The scene that made me want to conquer the impossible.

Climbers enjoy their descent from the peak.

A loner? Maybe just discerning. Who wouldn't? When you're up there, it feels like you are in Heaven.

Colors on the mountain canvas.

Leisurely descent from the summit even if it’s too cold.

Descending from one of the peaks.

"Lord, it is good for us to be here. Let us make three tents; one for you, one for me, and... who else?"
God has created this heaven on earth for us to appreciate His greatness!



With a heavy heart and a lighter bag (food supply has been consumed), we descended back to the rangers station. While we were walking, my thoughts flew back to how I begun this trip. Questions float by; how did I survive without joining a mountaineer's club and trek packages? How did I climbed up the camp site 2 within only two hours? How did I survive the rain during the night? How did I sleep in the ice cold night? How did I move my legs to up to the peaks in the morning when my legs were shivering from the cold?

Hmmmm.

I got my tent, 2 sleeping bags, a winter jacket, a headlight, oil and lotion, 2 bottles of coke, a bunch of chocolates, bread, tuna, some fruits, my trash bags (that also became my raincoat and my tent protection against the rain), water bottle and my faith.

This mission ain't impossible after all.























11 comments:

  1. Your shots showed how amazing God's creations are!!! Magnifico Padre!!!You are lucky to have conquered a seemingly impossible adventure for others =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old-school spirituality. Have to be like Moses & Elijah just to pray and reach Him. :-)

      thank you for the help.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic and awesome pictures Father!! Indeed, God's creation are beautiful and must be appreciated more. To nature! (TVN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you my dearest klasmeyt Tina.
      yan ang advantage tang mga single, liason officer pa (layas ng layas!) :-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful shots! Postcard-perfect! Its more fun in the Philippines... Mountain climbing is more fun in the Philippines.. almost like you were there to feel the serenity and peace nature gives....Viol .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you tita viol.
      i love adventures... worth d risk. :-)

      maganda Pinas!

      Delete
  4. heaven on earth indeed! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you dearest prima.

      mas maganda tlga yung clouds nyo. :-)

      Delete
  5. That Sea of Clouds is a remarkable shot!

    P.S next time, don't forget to bring Aspirin. You never know!
    And a whistle (a must for travellers)....

    ReplyDelete
  6. . "Leave nothing but footprints";. "Take nothing but pictures";. "Kill nothing but time."....Nice one Padi next time Mt Everest naman..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Envy is one of the deadly sins; so then bless me father for I have sinned. Haha!
    I sooooo envy you! I wanted to conquer Mt. Pulag since I saw the sea of clouds, the majestic view, the.. the.. (lost for words!)

    Hopefully, before the year ends I'll get to conquer Mt. Pulag! Pray for me! =)

    ReplyDelete