Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Reminiscing the Fiery Albay


"Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place."
LK. 4:24






The province of Albay has been described in so many ways by a lot of bloggers. One can read about Albay depending on the theme of the bloggers site. Some would focus on the taste of Albay, some would tell stories about the beauteous Albay, and many would simply write about the majestic Mayon.


I beg to differ. Hopefully, I can share my humble beginnings being a genuine Bicolano.




Mayon Volcano
Albay is my home province. It is very evident on the way I speak, the way I eat and the way I look. In other words, "merong punto ang salita ko, mahilig ako sa maanghang na pagkain at higit sa lahat mestizo ako."  I grew up in Vel-Amor Subdivision, Legazpi City. My brothers, sister and I had so many wonderful memories in our house at Cherry Blossom Street. Along the street with other kids, we would play taguan, tumbang preso and patintero, climb trees, run the vastness of rice fields, go fishing and usually ride the BMX which is the favorite bike of my youngest brother. On our backyard, the majestic Mayon witnessed how we ran along the vast rice fields while the noise of the passing PNR competes with our screams and shrieks. Mt. Mayon also witnessed how I fell in love... with basketball. My dad built a basketball ring on the coconut tree on our backyard where I would play hoops with my dad, brothers and  friends or sometimes by myself.




Sto. Domingo Parish, Sto. Domingo, Albay 
This 1820's church is located 30 minutes from Legazpi City. Not known to many, Sto. Domingo, Albay is where the roots of Apun came. In fact, its incumbent mayor Herbie Aguas is my cousin.



St. Agnes Academy, Legazpi City
"Ora et Labora", the same Benedictine as St. Scholastica's in Manila. Me and my four other siblings studied at this famous, prestigious and oldest Catholic school in the province of Albay. We would walk going to school since St. Agnes Academy is about 1km away from our house. What I cannot forget about this school where the German nuns who ran our school, they would spend most of their time chasing us naughty kids through the corridors.




St. Gregory the Great Seminary, Tabaco City
When I was a kid, I would answer Engineer when asked what I want to be when I grew up. I knew I can achieve that dream, but my love for basketball brought me to the seminary. I wasn't called by the angel Gabriel through my dream to enter the seminary, nor was I talked into it by my parents, but I decided to enter the high school seminary simply because of the basketball courts that had a lot of it inside. Throughout my stay in the formation house, I was a basketball varsitarian. My friends would say in jest I was contended - "studying basketball while playing theology." Sports especially basketball is my passion but priesthood is my vocation. Truly, God calls us in mysterious ways. I'm not bragging, but I did excel in academics, arts and sports while in the seminary. In fact, I was exempted in all Math final exams from First to Fourth year high school that Prof.Alfred Basco already allowed me to play basketball while all my classmates were still taking our final math exams. My classmate Fr.Nolan Ador Que once mentioned in his commencement exercise homily that I was the "best mathematician in the class."  My hard work at St. Gregory the Great Seminary paid off when I graduated as 3rd Honorable Mention (5th in the class). The very studious and diligent Fr.Que was 4th in our class, and the brilliant Fr.Lyndon F. Balubar was our class valedictorian.




Mater Salutis College Seminary, Daraga Albay
I can say nothing much about this place. I took my Philosophy here and graduated as Magna Cum Laude.




Our Lady of the Great Parish, Daraga, Albay
This church is a replica of the Cagsawa Church that was covered by lava when the Mayon Volcano erupted in 1814. On 1773, strategically, the Franciscans built this on top of Sta Maria hill to avoid what happened to Cagsawa Church. 




Our Lady of the Assumption Parish, Guinobatan, Albay (above) 
This parish was my first assignment as a priest. I have learned the humble ways of climbing lots of mountains during fiesta masses which inspired me in a lot of ways.
St. Raphael Parish, Legazpi City (below) 
My second parish assignment as a priest under Auxiliary Bp.Lucilo B. Quiambao, DD. This is my home parish. This is where my brothers, sister and I were baptized and confirmed. My whole family would hear mass every Sunday on this church, where I also became an altar boy.



St. John the Baptist Parish, Tabaco City
The third and last parish I was assigned to as a priest under the late Msgr.Ralph C. Salazar 
before I moved in Manila, and now presently in the Diocese of Pasig. 




St. John the Baptist Church.
A church was built in 1616 in honor of St. John the Baptist. However, this church that you see on the photo was built in 1864. Here in Tabaco City I gladly met my relatives - the families of Sierda, Sadueste and Demetrio.




Malabog, Daraga (left).
The giant replica of Bicol’s favorite, "sili" (chili) can be found near Cagsawa ruins.
Pinangat in Camalig, Albay (right).
Aside from "sili", Albay is also known for its "Pinangat" and "Tinilmok". This dish is made of a local taro leaves folded together then steamed for hours in coconut milk. The best "pinangat" in Albay can be found in a small eatery in Camalig. This "pinangat" would always lure me to Camalig every time I go home.




Small Talk Cafe, Legazpi City
A charming old house turned into a cafe along one of the main streets of Legazpi is owned by my friend Dideth Peralta. Small Talk Cafe offers a fusion of Bicol and Western dishes. Do not miss to try their Pasta "Pinangat/Laing" (above left), Bicolana pizza (above right), Pasta Mayon (below left) and their gummy Cheese sticks (below right). I've also tried their Bicol Express Pasta and Bicol Pizzette in the past. All of the mentioned dishes are the must try when in Small Talk Cafe.




Biggs Diner, Legazpi City
This biggest food chain in Bicol region started in 1983 at Naga City and has found its way franchising to Legazpi and other parts of Albay. This Diner has a Bigg spot in my heart. When I took my Theology in Naga, I would eat in Biggs spending my hard earned money from my piggy bank for a fried chicken.




Tiwi's Famous Halo-Halo, Tiwi Albay
Tiwi isn't just known for its existing geothermal plant, ironically, it is also known for its Halo-halo. They have the best around Albay. Maybe, just maybe, people from Tiwi have perfected making Halo-halo because they always eat Halo-halo to cool them off the heat from the geothermal plant. Just a thought. One thing is for sure though, even if Tiwi is miles away from Legazpi, I would surely drive to Tiwi for their special Halo-Halo.




New Albay Pilinut Candy, Legazpi City
So when in Bicol, what is the next best thing you can take home besides memories? It's Pili Nuts! New Albay Pilinut Candy is the oldest Candy Factory of Pilinuts in Albay and is owned by my cousin Ate Marie Diaz-Battung. Obviously, since they are the pioneer in making Pilinuts candy, they will offer you only the best pilinuts. So before heading home, buy some pilinuts candy at New Albay Pilinut Candy.




Manito, Albay
Exactly five years ago, Typhoon Reming (Durian) devastated the province of  Albay. It has brought a sea of mud burying the homes; boulders crushed bridges and roads, houses swept away by floodwater, homeless and hungry people walks zombie-like. All this happened a few days before Christmas. The next day after the typhoon, I got two text messages from my bestfriend Fr.Dennis Oraa that literally tore my heart into pieces.
The first text says "The worst I've seen padi. Now it’s like post war here. Paliog su baha sa harong nindo last night (The water was neck high in your house last night). I think more than a thousand lives were lost. I saw them being dumped at the streets in front of funeraria Guinobatan, Albay. Some bodies lie uncollected on the road when I passed by. Grabe Mano."
The second text says "I took pictures of the devastation and the dead bodies. Bilog na aldaw ako nagparalibot sa motor (I went around the whole day with a motorcycle). Now, wara na available gasoline. Grabe an pila sa nagkapirang bukas (There is no more gasoline available. The lines are very long to those opened gas stations). No water. No electricity. This one is three times worst than (super-typhoon) Milenyo. Don't know what kind of Christmas we will have here..."
I was then assigned in Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine, Makati City. I thought, God is very good for sending me here, but I also lamented for my home province. I knew then why God has brought me in Guadalupe (the Patroness of Life)  in this time of calamity.




Padang, Sto. Domingo, Albay
Today, the remains of Typhoon Reming teems with life. Still trying to forget the past and moving on. Standing on this spot, five years after the typhoon, I felt thankful to all the people from Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine, to the very kind rector Msgr.Salvador Jose, to a very supportive friend Fr.Tony Rosales and to all my fellow pilgrims who extended their blessings to my kababayans in this very sad and depressing moment. After reading the text messages from my priest-best friend and hearing the tragic news about my hometown, I decided to do something worthwhile on Christmas. After two weeks of knocking tirelessly at the hearts of Good Samaritans, I was able to solicit a total of P1,389,377.30 in cash. The merciful Lord also sent me a very large and long forward-truck (lent by Arguson family) filled with sacks of rice, food, clothes and  relief goods, and some good friends from Legion of Mary and the Guadalupe Parish Youth Ministry who went with me after Christmas to deliver the donations to the Diocese of Legazpi.




Cagsawa Ruins
On a regular day around 5:30AM-8:00AM, you will see the Mayon majestically watching over Albay. However after the typhoon, the famous tourist spot of Albay shared the grief of her people but still reminding people that there has been worst and it is natural for all resilient Bicolanos to get up and move forward.




It cannot be denied that I am from Albay. A true Albayano and a fiery Bicolano. I am "maorag," not "oragon." I'm proud of it. Now, I am away from my home province, serving another place, but it doesn't matter. For now I have accepted God's plan for me. Farewell my beloved native place... Legazpi.





                                                    "Every sinner has a past.
                                                                        Every saint has a future"
                                                                                
                                                                                                             -There Be Dragons









17 comments:

  1. This is, by far, your best post!
    What would Bicol be without its regal beauty - Mayon, enticing (and spicy!!) dishes, charming people, remarkable churches, prestigious schools?
    Bicol is my home, too! I yearn for the past: memories, food, places, friends & family. How wonderful it would be to reunite with Bicol again! :-)
    I am Bicolana and PROUD :-)

    You have captured essence of Bicol through your photographs (of Mayon, the churches, SAA, Cagsawa ruins).
    And the photograph of Manito, Albay is evocative.
    As for the last paragraph, I second the motion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paghorop-horop sa buhay niyato sa Legazpi! :-)

      Delete
  2. Very well versed. You have captured the real emotion of Bicol through your words.

    I noticed, your next post will be Misibis. I've been there. I wonder how will you tell us your stories behind your beautiful photos.

    Keep it up! I'll be waiting for Misibis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you.
      hopefully ex-seminarian Zaldy Co will give me a discount! LOL

      Delete
  3. Pads,kulang na kulang pag stay ko sa Legazpi, hindi ko lhat napuntahan yung mga na feature dito sa blog nyo. lalong lalo na yung kinalalagyan nyo nung kinunan nyu po yung top view na Mayon Volcano,. yung St. Agnes Academy< few blocks distant lng kame jan :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. balik ulit padi.
      pasalubong ko pinangat ha. :-)

      Delete
  4. Fr Japs, matibayon ka man.. I reallY appreciate ur effort this is very informative be a native of the place or not.. CONGRATS! IKAW NA TALAGA!.. Those memories behind the place way back in my younger years also, u made my day!.. God bless!

    Manay Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mau ka talaga padi!!! Payt sana.

    topper b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mas mau ka padi. hahahah
      Very blessed na nagkaiba kta padi sa Alcatraz. LOL

      Delete
  6. thank you.
    Sabi nga,
    "ang hindi marunong lumingon sa pinanggalingan,
    matinik man ay malalim!" lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you kuya boyet.
    salamat sa laing ng Guadalupe. :-)

    Viva la Virgen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hay.... korak!
    nanlumo ko with d news from Fr.Denz.
    goodnews is, resilient ang mga pinoy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salamat po Tita Salve.
    Tagagirumdom na lang po kami kang kapanuhan mi nina Fr.Don. :-)
    Naghilingan po kami sa Belgium... very thankful to your son.
    Very proud po kami na nag-aadal po sya sa Lovuian.
    Too blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. God Bless you my beloved Cousin. Kuya Chito

    ReplyDelete
  11. In search for Albay's history, I happened to pass by this site of yours. Your blog made me feel proud as a Legazpeña and most especially, a devout Catholic. I'm serving as a Lector/Commentator of Albay Cathedral & Redemptorists for almost a decade now, and I've met several Diocesan priests, such as your Class Valedictorian, Fr. Lyndon, who is currently at your first assignment, OLAP in Guinobatan. Hope you can say mass here in the Diocese. I will be gladly pleased to listen to your homily. Well done po, Padre! Maorag! =)

    ReplyDelete