Saturday, February 5, 2011

Surviving Sabtang Waves

"By your power the mountains were formed. By your strength the seas were calmed; you lull the roaring waves and the turmoil of the nations"
                                                                                                             
                                                                                                     Ps 65(64):7-8




Today is the day. It finally came.

Were going to Sabtang and although I am excited for it, I am dreading the only way to get reach it. Based on my readings prior to my trip; crossing the part where the Pacific Ocean meets with China Sea has the wildest waves and you got to be ready to get wet.

My initial concern was my camera...NOT! That was actually, the second, the first one is: How will I survive these excruciating waves?!

The answer: Three tablets of Bonamine.



Although this boat looks nice, I prayed that this is not the kind of boat we are waiting for.

Ivana Church.
Lydia told us that we should not be late for the boat ride, we're not. Problem is, we're way too early.

View from the bell tower.
I don't know if they allow people to go up. But it was open so I went ahead.

Honesty Cafe.
Self Service. Pay as you get. Write as you pay.

St. Peter the Fisherman?
We chanced upon 2 fishermen docking their boat on the shore. Their catch for the day: 1 big octopus, 2 1/2  fish. Curiosity got into me, so I asked why is the other fish halved. He said it was bitten by a shark.

Kids waiting for the boat as well.
To take my mind off of waves and sharks. I walked towards the dock and took more pictures.

Faluwa.
Arrival of our boat. I sat down just in front of the boat because Tita told me it is the best seat to avoid seasickness.

Sabtang.
After a very looooooooong time struggling not to feel sick during the trip. We finally arrived at our destination.

Sabtang Lighthouse.
Good thing I was able to take pictures while still on the incontrollable boat.

On our way to Chavayan.
We went on a stop over before proceeding to our first tour destination. 

Ivatan Kids.

Young boy on his way home.

Rays of sunshine.

From left to right:
Chavayan Church; an Old Well, one of the Houses; and the Narrow Street.

Unique street sign.

Chavayan Church.
This chapel uses the original Ivatan roof and is the only one still using it.

An old House near the Chapel of Idjang.

Idjang Houses.

Lobster and Buko.
I was expecting for a coconut crab, but instead I got a coconut juice and just a lobster.

The Arc.

Going Home.
Just Do It.

By 2:00 PM, we were back on Sabtang Port waiting for the same boat that brought us to Sabtang. every one was worried about the weather. It looks like it would rain anytime. The locals said not to worry though. I took my remaining Bonamine.

The boat came. Everybody went in and soon were on our way. The waves were bigger and tormenting. It was higher than Dirk Nowitzki - 4 times!  My soul was left behind every time the boat went up and down. The water was at its angriest. I felt like I was in one of those rides in Disney Land.

Batanes trip would not be complete with out going to Sabtang, but if you ask me if I'll go back to Sabtang, I'd say - HECK NO!

Unless, we go there by airplane.










13 comments:

  1. One heck of an adventure! Fantastic pics with quippy captions. Galing Padre Japs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salamat my dearest klasmeyt "Younghusband." :-)

      Delete
  2. Wow, Im starting to love the place and the photographer. Amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fascination for street signs. I've seen many, and without a doubt, that Sta. Rosa St. has got to be one of the most creative ones I've seen.
    If only those Idjang houses could talk...


    How did you survive the waves? Bonamine and 3 Our Fathers...
    I would have fainted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinated me from the photographs and fascinated my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just continue to do so, the beauty of nature.Others made distorts the nature of god. You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you too so much. We are so blessed by Him. :-)

      Delete
  6. TOP 5 Photos I Love in this Blog Post:

    1. Boat - it's really unique. Who would've thought to color a boat as such.

    2. Notebook - really? so classic but you made the photo so much nicer.

    3. Sabtang - it showed the wave you are talking about as well as the beauty that is waiting for on the Island.

    4. Young Boy and The Ivatan kids - the boy was so small on the photos, but that photo all in all was terrible...terribly good Padre! That photo made me thinking about the boy. Does he appreciate the beauty that is around him? Or he was so busy being a son and helping out with his mom? Or is he excited to go home, finish the chores and be a kid and run over the beautiful mountains around him...I wonder!

    5. Street sign - as what Cherry said, it is very creative. The street sign itself is creative. But the way you present it in you blog is the most creative. You hid the unusual street wall and made the unique street sign your main focus by enhancing its colors.

    6. Chavayan Churh - I saw a lot of Batanes photos around the internet. But who would've thought of presenting this Man made house of God in such way! It was fantastic. Simple yet captivating.

    Keep on posting and I'll keep on following!


    PS:
    I think the best photos are those that are simple yet captivating and the photos that would make you think what could be the story of the subject not the story behind the photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow... very interesting messages about the photos.
      Inspiring thoughts. thank you!

      Delete